Britain’s most bizarre insurance claims include damage caused by a BADGER locked in a shed and a baby vomiting on a laptop during a Skype call
- Insurance provider RIAS has revealed its top 10 most bizarre claims
- A snail devoured £78-worth of carpet at the home of a 73-year-old man
- 71-year-old also received a pay out after a badger ate its way out of a shed
Insurance provider RIAS has published its top 10 list of most bizarre claims in the last year. Among them was a man who claimed after a badger damaged his shed, gnawing its way out after becoming trapped inside.
The list of bizarre insurance claims was compiled by specialist insurance provider RIAS from the almost 400,000 successful cases in 2012-13. Peter Corfield, Managing Director at RIAS said: ‘While we go out of our way to ensure that our homes and gardens are safe and secure, sometimes it’s the most unlikely events that can end up causing real damage. ‘Not all claims are straightforward and sometimes we do see some bizarre scenarios. but, saying that, babies and animals are often the culprits.’
1. A 71-year-old woman from Bath locked a badger in her shed, which then managed to bash a hole in the wall to escape.
2. After seeing a dog on the TV, a dog in Galashiels tried to jump into the screen after it.
3. A small child spilt a glass of coke on his grandad’s laptop. Drying it with a hairdryer melted the keys, causing £239 worth of damage.
4. A grandfather in Guildford held his baby grandson up to show him off over Skype. The baby then threw up on the laptop causing £437 worth of damage.
5. Wind blew a 62-year-old’s glasses off his face, which were then immediately run over by a car, resulting in £469 worth of damage.
6. A trapped squirrel in the garage of an 86-year-old woman from Exeter managed to crack a window and escape.
7. A snail ate £78 worth of carpet in the home of a 73-year-old man from Preston.
8. A pigeon fell down a chimney and flew into a house, damaging the carpet, ornaments and sofa to the tune of more than £8,000
9. A seven-month-old puppy in Cardiff stole a one litre bottle of oil from the kitchen, dragged it to the living room and chewed it on the sofa, causing £953 worth of damage
10. A deer fell into the swimming pool of a 74-year-old man from Guildford, damaging the cover.
Article originally appeared on the Daily Mail.